La Carreta participates in Greek Week and gives back

William Schimdt

Though the end of Greek Week was washed out due to severe weather conditions, benefits from the “Give Back” day and night event held at La Carreta of Hammond brought in $400 for the university’s food pantry.

On Monday, Mar. 7, a percentage of La Carreta’s profit was donated to the campus’ food pantry if patrons mentioned they were supporting Greek Week’s “Give Back.”

This was a first time event for Greek Week. 

“The Greeks and Student Engagement came up with this event because they are aware that there are always some things the pantry needs,” said Coordinator for Multicultural and International Student Affairs Brendan Daigle.

Some who have been a part of Greek Life since freshman year were excited for this opportunity. 

“I came because it is the ‘Give Back’ for Greek Week,” said senior elementary education major Mollie Norton. “This is my fourth year in my sorority and I think this is the best thing we’ve done philanthropy wise in the last four years for Greek life.”

Social media was one of the ways in which “Give Back” was able to have a successful day.

“We are supporting the Order of Omega and the Greek Community during Greek Week,” said senior marketing major Kayren Vicknair. “We are raising money for the food pantry at Southeastern. I heard about it on Instagram. One of our Phi Mu sisters posted a picture promoting the event tonight.”

The food pantry does not know specifically what the donations from the “Give Back” event will go towards as of yet, but some of the donations will most likely go towards low supplies. 

“We haven’t spoken in detail about what we plan to use the funds for, but most likely we will use at least some of it to purchase food items that the pantry is out of or low on,” said Daigle. “Getting donations of any sort is beneficial to the pantry, because it is not a department and is not funded through the university, but entirely through donations. This event is especially helpful because receiving monetary donations allows us to purchase specific items or even supplies or equipment that the pantry may need.”

Attendees of “Give Back” hope that the food pantry is able to use the money received to help the less fortunate on campus. 

“I hope we do get a lot of money for the food pantry because there are a lot of people on campus who can’t afford to go get food themselves and pay for school all by themselves,” said Norton. “This is really good for them.”

If you would like to donate or find ways in which you can help Southeastern’s food pantry, visit their page found through the university’s website