Voting drive and informational scheduled by NPHC

Larshell Green

The National Panhellenic Council  aims to hold true to the values and morals they were founded upon through service projects and social events on campus. The Formal Informational meeting tomorrow will welcome those interested.

The National Panhellenic Council  aims to hold true to the values and morals they were founded upon through service projects and social events on campus. The Formal Informational meeting tomorrow will welcome those interested.
The Lion's Roar/File Photo

The National Panhellenic Council represents eight of the ‘Divine Nine’ organizations that engage in a variety of events to promote unity and initiate change at the university.

The ‘Divine Nine’ are nine historical African-American internationally lettered Greek fraternities and sororities. 

NPHC president D’Anna Williams and member of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc., gained her position after running at the end of the 2016 spring semester.

Williams expects new members to receive networking opportunities and achieve personal growth with their newfound, extended family.

“Everyone will gain something different from this informational, but I hope that the students who do attend will gain a better understanding of Greek life and all that it entails,” said junior marketing and Spanish major Williams.

The eight organizations of the National Pan-Hellenic Council that are present on Southeastern’s campus: Delta Sigma Theta, Omega Psi Phi, Alpha Kappa Alpha, Alpha Phi Alpha, Kappa Alpha Psi, Sigma Gamma Rho, Phi Beta Sigma and Zeta Phi Beta will attend.

“All of the present NPHC organizations will be present to answer any questions students may have,” said Williams. “The event will provide a crash course in Greek life and it will also inform students on the requirements to join any of the NPHC organizations.”

According to Williams, attendees should bring a notebook and ink pen to keep track of important information they receive and wear business casual attire. Any full-time students interested in Greek life can attend.

Williams views NPHC as a vital, historical part of campus life and sees the importance of carrying on the traditions of the organization.

“When African-Americans were denied membership to other organizations we created our own and the values and morals that we were all founded upon still stand today,” said Williams. “We make a difference on campus. We work to change campus for the better. We promote unity within the African-American community. We promote interconnectedness and bonds that last far beyond graduation.” 

NPHC typically has events such as the Informal Social in the fall and the NPHC Showcase during the spring semester.

The Formal Informational Meeting will begin promptly at 5:30 p.m. in the Student Union Theater on Wednesday, Sept. 21.

Before the Formal Informational Meeting, NPHC will be having a Voter’s Registration Drive in the Student Union from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. On Monday, Oct. 17 the organization will host the Family Reunion. According to Williams, they are in the process or planning more events that will be announced at a later date.