CAB celebrates the ’90s with themed celebration

Raymond Paul

Sophomore nursing major Amani Miller participates in '90s themed karoke during the Campus Acitivities Board's celebration. The goal of the party was to celebrate the culture of the '90s. 

Raymond Paul/ The Lion's Roar 

The Campus Activities Board hosted a ‘90s themed party in the War Memorial Student Union.

This event was held on Wednesday, Nov. 8 and consisted of music, bingo, ‘90s themed-trivia and karaoke. Students who participated received a prize bag from CAB and an assortment of candy and refreshments.

CAB Event Manager and junior English major Gabrielle Levet explained the main reason for throwing the decade-themed party.

“Incoming freshmen are last of the ‘90s babies,” said Levet.

Throwing a ‘90s themed party gave students the opportunity to dress in clothing and accessories that were inspired by the ‘90s. Recently, ‘90s inspired clothing has been resurfacing around social media and in clothing stores.

According to an article by Pete Forester titled “How ‘90s Fashion influences Today’s Style, According to a vintage Expert at Deep Cover,” the energy is also influential to the style.

“By bringing ‘90s style back into vogue, we’re also subconsciously trying to recapture the energy from the time period as well,” said Forester.

Styles that are resurfacing on campus include neon colors, animal prints and distressed jeans.

Students played three rounds of bingo and three rounds of trivia. Sophomore Kayla Coleman shared why she enjoyed the activities that confirmed her knowledge of ‘90s songs during the sing along.

“Bingo was fun because of the friendly competition,” said Coleman.

CAB Committee Chair and junior family and consumer sciences major Sabrina Ward explained why they chose the theme.

“Everyone wanted to see a ‘90s themed party happen,” said Ward. “The ‘90s was an iconic decade, and even if you where not born in the ‘90s, you have been exposed to some form of ‘90s inspired culture.”

Campus Acitivties Board member Gabrielle Levet hosts the '90s party. Attendees received goody bags and candy and got the oppurtunity to play games like bingo. 

Raymond Paul/ The Lion's Roar