Black Student Union showcases talent

Jonathan Rhodes

Performers showed off their talents at the Black Student Union's annual "Culture Night." Jonathan Rhodes/The Lion's Roar

The Black Student Union hosted the annual “Culture Night,” which is a talent show that allows students to showcase their talents in honor of Black History Month.

Poets, singers, rappers and dancers showed up to the Student Union Theater on Monday at 6:30 p.m. Senior engineering technology major Datron Matthews who goes by rapper name Eflow performed his newest song that will be on his next album.

“This is the first time that I have performed it, and it is the last time people will hear it until the next project come out,” said Matthews.

No stranger to performing on campus, Matthews is glad that he has a platform to perform on.

“I feel like the performance went well,” said Matthews. “I saw some nice reactions from the crowd. It’s just nice to be able to have somewhere to showcase your talent and get good reactions from the crowd.”

Senior communication major Chambria Harrison co-hosted the talent show with alumna Brynisha Faust. Harrison performed for the talent show in the past and believes it is very important for students to display their talent.

“This is my first time hosting, so I think it went really well,” said Harrison. “It took awhile for the crowd to get hype, but the performances was good. Me and Brynisha played off each other very well. It’s very important, especially at this university where black students are a little bit outnumbered, so it is important for us to stick together. So, events like this where we get to support each other's art is what is good about seeing all of these organizations pulling together and making something beautiful for everybody.”