Students to perform for a chance at 500 dollars

Annie Goodman

Former student Jeremy Lloyd performs “You Raise Me Up” by Josh Groban during  the 10th annual “Southeastern Star,” a talent show hosted by the Campus Activities Board in March of 2013. This year will be the first time CAB is hosting a talent show of this kind since 2015. File Photo/The Lion’s Roar

The Campus Activities Board is hosting a talent show for students to participate in as well as attend. 

“This is a talent show for students to come and showcase their talents to compete for a grand prize of a $500 scholarship,” said CAB President McKenzie Tolson.

Miss Southeastern Louisiana 2018 Alyssa Larose will be hosting the event.

“About a week after finding out about it, Gi, the event coordinator for CAB, asked me to be the MC,” said Larose. “I’ve been the MC at a few pageants and absolutely loved the experience, so I immediately said yes. This is also another way for me to be more visible on campus, which is one of my biggest goals during my reign.”

The talent show is scheduled for Tuesday, March 27 at 7 p.m. in the Student Union Theater. 

According to Tolson, 29 people have signed up to compete.

“CAB used to host Southeastern Star every year, but somehow it kind of dissipated over the years,” said Tolson. “We wanted to bring it back because we love the idea of giving students a chance to show off their talents.”

Larose is excited to see the contestants’ talents.

“I honestly think this is going to be one of the best events CAB does all semester,” said Larose. “So far, about 30 contestants are signed up. People should expect a great show with a ton of talent and a beautiful MC.”

Tolson expects a full house and urged attendees to show up early to ensure they can watch.

“Audience members can expect a great show,” said Tolson. “Since we have so many contestants, we are suggesting that everyone get to the theater early because we have a limited number of seats. There will be a ticket system, but they will only be available at the door, so they are still first come, first serve.”

According to Larose, the show will require thorough preparation to be a success.

“There is going to be a lot of planning and preparation by the entire CAB committee leading up to the show,” said Larose. “I’m planning on leading a flawless show where everything goes smoothly. I hope to keep the audience entertained in between performances and maybe throw in a few jokes.”

Tolson hopes students will come to cheer on their fellow students.

“People should go to support their fellow students and to see the talent that other Lions have,” said Tolson.

Larose also feels “the most important reason to attend is to support your fellow Lions.”

“It takes a lot of strength to perform in front of your peers, and audience support plays a major part in a good performance,” said Larose. “We use to have a campus talent show years ago, and the attendance and success of this talent show will determine if we will continue the tradition.”