Music fraternity honors UPD

Annie Goodman

Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia President Benjamin Reaux, far right, and his fraternity members decided to award the University Police Department for their contributions to campus safety with a plaque. Jacob Summerville/The Lion's Roar

Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia, a music fraternity on campus, has decided to present the University Police Department with an award for their service.

“Basically, it’s just a gesture of appreciation for the police on campus because we feel like Southeastern really prides themselves on our safety,” said Phi Mu Alpha President Benjamin Reaux, a junior music major. “The University Police Department really does do a great job at providing their services and doing the best they can, really putting their lives on the line for the safety of our students. We want to show our appreciation for that.”

The award, which was presented on Tuesday, March 27 at 7:45 p.m. in Pottle Hall Room 119, was donated to the fraternity.

“It’s a plaque that was given to us by a custom wood maker who makes all kinds of designs,” said Reaux. “It was something we wanted to do, but we didn’t really know who to ask.”

After evaluating UPD’s presence on campus, Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia felt they deserved recognition.

“They’re always here,” said Reaux. “They’re always around. Their presence is made aware with every event we have. You know you’re not concerned about your safety or you’re not fending for yourself. You have that protection. You have their services.”

Reaux believes that UPD provides a sense of security for individuals on campus.

“If you have a problem or if you’re being sexually harassed, which some wouldn’t believe is a problem, or if you’re ever not in a safe place, or if you feel uncomfortable, if you ever worry about your personal safety, you know you have dedicated and committed police officers who are working around the clock all the time to help and offer services to you and your protection,” said Reaux. “I think they offer really valuable resources. They’re a resource to our students, to our facilities, and to the faculty here to keep everything in order and safe.”

Reaux feels that police officers support the mission of Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia.

“We are a music fraternity,” said Reaux. “Our whole mission is the advancement of music in America, and one of the things that makes America great is our patriotism.”

It is the support police officers offer to the university as well as the country that earned UPD this award in Reaux’s eyes.

“We recognize that the police love this country,” said Reaux. “They do it because they really care for the people around them. They really care for this country and the structure of how things are supposed to go and for the law.”

Reaux sees a parallel in the missions of Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia and police officers.

“We know that just as we are advancing music in America, the police officers are advancing the safety of our citizens, the safety of our students on Southeastern’s campus,” said Reaux.