The pride of a journalist’s legacy

Back to Article
Back to Article

The pride of a journalist’s legacy

The Lion’s Roar Editor-in-Chief Larshell Green, far right,  poses alongside members of  the newspaper’s staff and members of Le Souvenir. The two staffs acts as a “work family” under the umbrella of  the Office of Student Publications.

The Lion’s Roar Editor-in-Chief Larshell Green, far right, poses alongside members of the newspaper’s staff and members of Le Souvenir. The two staffs acts as a “work family” under the umbrella of the Office of Student Publications.

File Photo

File Photo

File Photo

Larshell Green, Editor-In-Chief

I am extremely proud of the goals that I have met over the last year as editor-in-chief. However, I am even more proud of the progression of the staff that I was able to lead and watch flourish. 

Among a staff of chemistry, communication, business, biology and computer science majors, talented reporters have emerged. I have seen firsthand an increase in confidence, writing and photography skills since they have joined the staff.

For those who may not be familiar with The Lion’s Roar’s production cycle, in my opinion, our week starts over on Tuesday and ends on Monday. Tuesdays are our fresh start. It’s the point where we look at our mistakes, make a plan and improve. Wednesdays are the days to conduct interviews and gather information. Thursday is the first day of production, and Friday is the second. Monday is our final day to produce a paper whether it’s eight, 10 or 12 pages.

This must be done in addition to web and social media coverage, class schedules and other obligations.

When people first hear that I am editor-in-chief of the newspaper, they assume that the schedule is the most difficult aspect of the job. They’re wrong. It’s the people.

I have an amazing staff, but the most difficult part of this position is managing and maintaining relationships with the administration, audience and all members of the staff.

When I filled out the application to be editor, I had very simple goals, or so I thought they were. I first wanted to create a relationship with the community. I also wanted to create a positive work environment. Lastly, I wanted to create a level of organization at the paper so great that we would never print one paper without having any idea as to what would go in the next one.

Beyond those goals, I wanted to create a legacy.

I walked on this campus as a shy freshman who had an interest in telling other people’s stories.

As I prepare to exit in December, I am a confident young woman who has become a leader and a better storyteller as a journalist.

I am incredibly grateful to my mentors in the Office of Student Publications, Director Dr. Lee Lind and Coordinator Lorraine Peppo as well as my parents, communication professors, friends, peers and the entire community for their continuous love, support, honesty and curiosity. 

The staff is incredibly competent. There is no challenge that they step down from. Each member, past or present, has had an impact on my life. 

But the thing is, no matter how prepared you are, there is no rule book that tells you how to deal with a stressed out reporter who wants to quit. There’s no list of procedures that tells you how to personally react when the public develops some distrust of your organization. There is no way to plan for a campus shooting or other threats involving other students without being personally affected.

There’s one simple thing to do in all of those situations: tell the story. Be diligent, truthful and willing to expand your perceived notions.

When I first decided to begin the position as editor-in-chief at the end of last May, I only planned to stay for about a year. When May came around, I frantically contemplated what to do next. I felt like my time was up and that I needed to allow someone else to build their legacy. 

I’ve learned that it’s OK not to know what’s behind every single corner. Here’s what I hope will happen for me in the next few months: I will complete the remaining summer and fall courses that I have, continue to produce written and visual content for Chappapeela Sports Park and learn a new skill in a position in the media,or any facet of journalism. 

To the next editor-in-chief and other editors, stand your ground. Write and report on the things that matter to you, the staff and the community. Take risks in content and design. Maintain a relationship with the staff. Have conversations with the community.

Have principles instilled in the place that will become your second home. This paper has never been and will never be created by one person. It takes a team to raise, advance and improve the “baby” that we call The Lion’s Roar.

It’s been an honor to serve as your editor-in-chief. Stay tuned for my next journey.