Events celebrating the arts and culture in Hammond

Musician+Nathaniel+Bauerle%2C+right%2C+performs+on+the+streets+of+Hammond+during+the+2017+%E2%80%9CHot+August+Night.%E2%80%9D+
Musician Nathaniel Bauerle, right, performs on the streets of Hammond during the 2017 “Hot August Night.”

File Photo

File Photo

Zachary Araki, A&E Editor

Culture and appreciation for the arts can be found throughout Hammond.

The university is holding an art workshop for children from July 9-19 taught by Associate Professor of Art Education Kim Finley-Stansbury. The Hammond Art Guild teaches adult summer art camps at the Hammond Regional Arts Center from July 16-20 and 23-27. 

HRAC also has an art exhibition and the monthly segment of “Playing the Staircase” coming soon. The opening reception for the artworks of metal artists John and Nancy Perilloux is scheduled for Friday, Aug. 3 from 5-8 p.m. The couple’s metal artworks draw inspiration from nature. On the last Friday of the month from 6-8 p.m., HRAC features a local or regional musician to perform original music. The July musicians are Clay Parker and Jodi James, an acoustic duo from Baton Rouge. The exhibition is free and open to the public while admission to “Playing the Staircase” is $5. 

Every Saturday from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. on West Thomas St., the Hammond Downtown Development District hosts a farmers market for local vendors and artisans to display the fruits of their labor. On every third Saturday of the month, the farmers market also includes a pet adoption. 

Other local establishments can satisfy one’s desire for the arts. Painting classes can be found at Painting with a Twist. The Louisiana Ballroom Dance Club, Lemoine Academy of Dance and Fellom Ballet School, among others, offer dance lessons. 

The Columbia Theatre for the Performing Arts and university programs such as music ensembles, the Contemporary Art Gallery, dance and theatre will resume their seasons in the fall.

About the Writer