What to know for the 23rd ‘Hot August Night’

Back to Article
Back to Article

“Hot August Night” allows artists like Kelly Boyett to show off her creative skills by capturing a scene in the Art Alley.

File Photo

File Photo

File Photo

Zachary Araki, A&E Editor

Every year, the Hammond Downtown Development District brings together the community and showcases local work.

Scheduled for Friday, Aug. 24, the 23rd annual “Hot August Night” will promote what downtown Hammond has to offer. 

“Last year was one of the best ‘Hot August Nights’ we’ve ever had,” said DDD Administrative Assistant Olivia Graziano. “This year, we are utilizing a committee to acquire even more fresh ideas that will take the event to even greater heights. We’re very excited.”

Graziano discussed how the event has grown since its start.

“‘Hot August Night’ began as a merchant event created in an effort to bring visitors to a growing downtown,” said Graziano. “It has since become a ‘minifestival’ in a thriving part of our city that everyone looks forward to, bringing 8,000-10,000 people to the district each year. Although it has evolved since its inception, the goal remains the same: to get people to experience downtown.”

As usual, the university pep rally “Lionpawlooza” will kick off the night at 6 p.m. in front of the DDD stage. The event will include the wine and beer walk, car show and art alley for artists to showcase their craftsmanship. Along with the traditional events, “Hot August Night” will include new aspects such as fast passes, which is an option to prepay by Aug. 21 for the wine and beer walk.

“This year, we are encouraging nonprofits to partner with downtown merchants for even more community involvement,” said Graziano. “We are also implementing fast passes for our wine and beer walk, and ‘Lionpawlooza’ will feature a Lion Walk before the pep rally kicks off at 6.”

The night will also feature local and original music at the “Listening Local” stage from 6-10:30 p.m. at a location that will be decided later. The deadline to apply is July 13, and the application can be found on DDD’s website. 

“This is actually something that happened a few years ago and got lost over time,” said Graziano. “Local musicians are hungry for places to play their original music. A local musician, Britton Newton of Biscuithound, has been instrumental in bringing this concept back to life, and we are thrilled to be able to give these artists a venue for the evening.”

More information about “Hot August Night” can be found on the DDD website.

Graziano discussed DDD’s goals for hosting “Hot August Night.”

“‘Hot August Night’ allows our community to celebrate together and experience downtown all in one night,” said Graziano. “Any money raised by the DDD during the evening will be used to accomplish items on our strategic plan, all of which are geared to improve our district. Overall, though, our goal is to get people to return to downtown after the event and shop, eat or play at one of our district’s many establishments.”

About the Writer