Athletics thanks sponsors

Zachary Araki

Football Head Coach Frank Scelfo speaks with sponsors at the inaugural “Partner Kickoff Luncheon.”

Zachary Araki, A&E Editor

Athletics showed its appreciation to sponsors at its inaugural “Partner Kickoff Luncheon.”

Sponsors included the official health care of university athletics North Oaks Health System, the official chicken finger of university athletics Raising Cane’s Chicken Fingers, the official wealth advisors of university athletics Burns Estate Planning & Wealth Advisors, the official title company of university athletics Clean Title, LLC, the official HVAC of university athletics Professional Heating & Air, the official quick stop of university athletics Quick Way Food Store, the official homebuilders of university athletics Cretin Townsend Homes, the official bank of university athletics First Guaranty Bank and the official boutique of university athletics Obsession Boutique among others. Sponsors filled the Victory Club of Strawberry Stadium on Friday, July 27 at 11:30 a.m. for food and to hear from football Head Coach Frank Scelfo and Director of Athletics Jay Artigues.

“We believe in a lot of things that Southeastern’s doing,” said Commercial Loan Officer of First Guaranty Bank Craig Scelfo. “Southeastern’s a great university. They’re well-known. They’ve done some great things. Hopefully football-wise, Coach Scelfo brings some wins over here and really gets that brand out. As First Guaranty continues to be a proud supporter, obviously get our name out as well.”

Resources made available to players through such sponsorships include hiring a leadership coach and the nutrition center at North Oaks. According to Artigues, corporate sales have increased from $400,000 to $1.3 million in the past five years. Artigues showed his gratitude for the sponsors by telling them how valuable they have been to the program.

“We have several people that are $15,000 sponsors, $30,000 sponsors,” said Artigues. “If you’re a $15,000 sponsor, that allows me to hire a GA. That’s a new student that gets an opportunity to get that master’s, to start learning under people like them or people in academics, and it’s one of the reason we’re so successful. $30,000 sponsorship, that’s a position for several people.”

Cretin Townsend Homes became a corporate sponsor of university athletics this year. Production Manager of Cretin Townsend Homes Joshua Taylor, who graduated from the university in 2006 and was on the football team from 2003-2005, discussed the decision to become a sponsor.

“We all love the school,” said Taylor. “It’s such a great part of the community. It does provide a lot for kids, for families. We’re at all the games. We’re at all the events. It’s kind of a part of our culture. If you believe in something, you should support it.”

According to Taylor, sponsoring athletics goes beyond advertising.

“We get to be a part of something bigger than yourself,” said Taylor. “We get to be out here, help the team grow, help the community because this feeds into the community. It’s a part of the community. It’s in the mission statement. We’re real big on the community. Anything we can do to help it, we’re always there for it.”