Getting involved

File Photo

Students have multiple options for getting more involved on campus.

Zachary Araki, A&E Editor

Students looking to become involved on campus can find several available outlets.

The Student Government Association works to implement policies to benefit the student body. The Next Up initiative trains students to become SGA members. Students who want to learn more about SGA and possibly become future members can stop by the Office for Student Engagement.

Campus Activities Board holds various events throughout the year. Students can join CAB by applying to the executive board, CAB committee or general board. Members of the general board may voice their thoughts and vote on future events at CAB’s meetings whereas members of the committee work under the executive board to plan and run events. An application for each section can be found on CAB’s website. Though CAB is not currently hiring for its executive board this semester, applications for the committee and general board will be open all semester. A CAB interest meeting is scheduled for 5 p.m. on Aug. 21 in Student Union Room 2207.

A list of student organizations can be found on the university website. Some organizations are tailored for a specific department or profession such as the Biology Undergraduate Society or the Southeastern Ceramics Club while others like the Baptist Collegiate Ministry or Catholic Student Association serve a religious purpose. A number of organizations serve a common interest such as Reconnect, which promotes sustainability, or the International Student Union and the Black Student Union. To join any of the organizations, contact the listed president or faculty advisor.

If none of the existing clubs meets a specific demand, a recognition packet found on the “Student Organizations” section of the Office for Student Engagement page must be submitted for approval to create a new one.

For individuals more interested in sports, Recreational Sports and Wellness has intramural sports including flag football, outdoor soccer, volleyball, basketball, softball, tennis and racquetball. To participate in the intramural sports, create an IMLeagues account and sign up.

Students can join fans in attending sporting events. Game dates are listed on lionsports.net. Athletics has instituted a clear bag policy for ticketed athletic events, barring items such as briefcases, backpacks, camera cases, purses, fanny packs and duffel bags among others.

For students who want to keep fit in a group, the Pennington Student Activity Center has Group Exercise Fitness classes. A monthly schedule can be found on the Recreational Sports and Wellness web page.

If promoting the university and leadership is more appealing, a student can become a Division for Student Affairs ambassador or an orientation leader. While a DSA ambassador may help with recruitment and fostering leadership, an orientation leader will help welcome incoming freshmen to the university. Applications for either position can be found online.

With numerous avenues for students to explore, the university offers ample opportunities to become involved on campus.