Get it together: Organization for the new term

Larshell Green, Editor

As students approach the upcoming fall semester, remaining organized will be the key to success. The modern young adult has a lot on their plate. In between work, classes and a personal life, it can be very difficult to maintain a healthy balance. Who hasn’t shown up to an obligation late or missed it altogether because of their stack of obligations? 

In whatever area of your life you wish to become more organized for, always remember that you must first determine what your definition of organization is.

First, decide how many weeks you want to be planned out, and for which ones you would prefer to have leeway in a schedule.

Second, consider what elements of your responsibilities are the most enjoyable versus which ones are least enjoyable.

Third, determine whether or not you prefer to record things like events and task lists electronically, with voice memos or on paper products.

Fourth, create an organization system with a consistent process for updates.

I usually plan out my weeks beginning on Thursdays. I write down everything that I have to physically do on a written calendar, sometimes record them on voice memos, or set a calendar notification in my phone. For individual tasks like homework assignments, I write them on sticky notes and scratch them off as they are completed. In general, I always complete the assignments or tasks that are more stressful or time consuming first. After those are completed, the easier ones can be completed fairly quickly. 

If you’re reading this checklist, you’re probably most concerned with being organized for your courses. The most important way to do this is to begin courses by starting off strong.

First, read your syllabi carefully. This will be key in determining what weekly obligations or monthly goals you have. No two classes are identical. In general, you’ll be responsible for at least one assignment a week, not including prep work like chapter readings. However, I’ve been a part of some courses where one major project is due every month or at the end of the semester.

Second, decide how you’ll keep up with those responsibilities. Determine if you’ll write when every single assignment is due in advance on a calendar, or set digital alarm notifications that will ring once a week.

Third, be honest with yourself about how much work you can complete in a certain time frame. 

Remember to base organization on your individual needs and schedule. However, do not neglect the power of organization. Reach out to people in similar or varying situations and utilize inspiration sites like Pinterest. Be creative and find a way to enjoy the responsibilities you must complete.