A guide to ‘Career Fair’

Students+are+encouraged+to+attend+events+like+%E2%80%9CPart-Time+Job+Fair%E2%80%9D+in+preparation+for+%E2%80%9CCareer+Fair%E2%80%9D+where+students+can+network+and+find+opportunities+for+jobs+or+internships.+

File Photo / The Lion's Roar

Students are encouraged to attend events like “Part-Time Job Fair” in preparation for “Career Fair” where students can network and find opportunities for jobs or internships.

Zachary Araki, A&E Editor

The Office of Career Services invites students of every major and classification to polish their resume and wardrobe for “Career Fair.”

“‘Career Fair’ is the university’s premier networking and recruiting event,” said Assistant Director of Career Services Brittany Bacques. “It provides students with a unique opportunity to meet professional representatives from over 150 companies across industries. ”

Prepared students always stand out to employers at ‘Career Fair,’

— Brittany Bacques

With the fair scheduled for Thursday, Sept. 20 from 9 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. at the Pennington Student Activity Center, students can utilize the time to prepare. Prior to the event, students can download the “Symplicity Jobs and Careers” app to navigate “Career Fair” from their phones.

According to the career services website, LionHire is intended to be a “one-stop career shop” for students seeking employment. Students can access their LionHire account using their W number and associated password. Through LionHire, students can search for jobs or internships.

“If students cannot make walk-in resume review hours, LionHire is a great way for them to submit their resume for review by a career services staff member,” said Bacques. “In LionHire and the app, students can view all attending employers, link to company websites for research, view company booth locations and favorite employers to visit while at ‘Career Fair.’”

By RSVPing to the fair either through the app or LionHire, students can streamline the check-in process and get a pre-printed color name badge. Students can review the list of employers registered for the event and research them prior to attending.

“Prepare for Career Fair Workshop and Panel” will be held in the Student Union Theatre on Tuesday, Sept. 11 at 5:30 p.m. At the workshop, students can get information on how to prepare and what employers will look for at “Career Fair.” After the workshop, students may talk one-on-one with employers from the panel.

“Prepared students always stand out to employers at ‘Career Fair,’” said Bacques. “Attending the how-to career fair workshop is a great way to get an in-depth look at what ‘Career Fair’ is and how to effectively prepare. The workshop also gives students the opportunity to ask for advice or any questions that they may have.”

For a more casual introduction to “Career Fair,” students can attend the “Part-Time Job Fair” on Thursday, Aug. 23 from 9:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.

While 132 organizations are currently registered to participate in “Career Fair,” more can be expected to register before the Sept. 6 deadline.

“It is so important for students to be career-focused from freshman to senior year because at some point after graduation, you will go out into the real world hoping to land your dream job,” said Bacques. “The more you work toward readying yourself for the real world, the better prepared you will be to meet your goals. Building your network and learning how to connect in a professional setting are two of the most valuable aspects of a student’s career development journey.”