Raising money and showcasing art

Barbara+Tardo+and+Abigail+Amithson+displayed+artworks+during+a+closing+reception+and+fundraising+event+for+the+Barbara+Tardo+Scholarship.+
Barbara Tardo and Abigail Amithson displayed artworks during a closing reception and fundraising event for the Barbara Tardo Scholarship.

Jacob Summerville

Jacob Summerville

Jacob Summerville, Staff Reporter

Fine arts and fundraising began the fall semester with works of former art professor.

The Contemporary Art Gallery opened the semester with a fundraiser at an exhibition reception.

The “Dear Adam Silver Artwork” summer exhibit, which featured artist Abigail Smithson’s work, ended on Aug. 21. A fundraiser for the Barbara Tardo Scholarship was held during the closing reception, which is awarded to an art major at the university.

Tardo is a former art professor of the university, and her works were displayed for sale alongside the “Dear Adam Silver Artwork” exhibition.

Many students complimented the works on display including Brett Luneau, a junior art education major.

“With some of the works, I noticed they looked like different crosshatches and stuff, but others have more defined details,” said Luneau.

Carly Cain, a sophomore art education major, complimented one of the 3D works.

“The muted colors are a good contrast with the chaotic shapes and scratch marks of the actual piece itself,” said Cain.

Attending his first art exhibit at the university, freshman art major Connor Cantrelle, complimented on the movement seen in many of Tardo’s works.

“Sometimes it’s a color, but the majority of the time, like in her charcoal pieces, it’s really the movement that I love,” said Cantrelle.

The exhibited hosted a fundraiser for the Barbara Tardo Scholarship.

In addition to submitting an artist statement, applicants for the scholarship must have a 2.75 GPA in art courses, enrolled in a 300 level or higher sculpture course, and must have completed the required fundamental courses.