Ready to work out?

Students can sign up for a fitness program next semester with the rec center. The dates for next semester are currently being decided.

Courtesy of Ashley Richardson

Courtesy of Ashley Richardson

Jacob Summerville, Staff Reporter

The Pennington Student Activity Center is hosting a fitness program for students who are determined to shed the extra pounds this semester. “Lighten Up Lions” allows students to dictate specific health goals they wish to achieve by the end of the six-week period.

Kayla Noll, a graduate assistant at the University Health Center, said that the fitness program allows students to explore several healthy avenues.

“The program allows the participants to choose what workouts they want to participate in,” said Noll. “The participants can choose from walking campus or the indoor track with us to attending any classes that the rec has to offer. However, the participants are not limited to these options.”

While this program requires a lot of physical work, there are other forms of work needed. Noll discussed some requirements needed in the program.

“’Lighten Up Lions’ also requires the participants to complete a fitness assessment before and after the program to track the participants’ progress,” said Noll. “Also, participants schedule weekly meetings that include a health coaching session and a weigh-in to track their progress throughout the program.”

Noll shared the specific goal of “Lighten Up Lions.”

“The goal for ‘Lighten Up Lions’ is to help students adopt a healthier lifestyle and help them achieve their weight loss goals by offering them support and guidance,” said Noll. “We hope to see the participants continue their healthier lifestyle after the program ends and to maintain the friendships they make during their time in the program.”

Although “Lighten Up Lions” has already started this semester, students who wish to become involved can do so next semester.

To stay updated on the program, students can follow the University Health Center on social media.