Voices of angels practice to make perfect

Diamond Hollins, Staff Reporter

The Pottle Music Building was filled with the blended voices of the altos, tenors and sopranos of the University Chorus as Amy Prats, director of the University Chorus/Northshore Choral Society, guided her students through a rehearsal aimed at building their confidence in anticipation of their upcoming concert.

On Saturday, Sept. 22, the two choirs occupied the choir room from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.

“It is truly a special experience when we combine these two groups bringing people from all ages and walks of life together for the common goal of music making,” said Prats.

Together, the two choirs underwent various voice exercises and practiced several songs that they will be singing at the concert.

The concert, titled “I Dream a World,” will feature music from different countries around the world such as South Africa, Sweden and China.

The performance is scheduled for Oct. 3, 2018 from 7:30-9:30 p.m. at the First Baptist Church on 401 W. Morris Ave. The concert is free and open to the public.

Small breaks were granted between song rehearsals in which students got together, chatted and laughed.

Michelle Morales, a freshman music major, feels the choirs have a family dynamic.

“It’s a very welcoming environment, very relaxing and really like a big family,” said Morales.

On Oct. 9, Prats will be accepting new members and encourages anyone interested to contact her at [email protected]