Lions outscore Islanders

Zachary Araki

Jamie Raines, a freshman midfielder, chases down the ball.

Zachary Araki, A&E Editor

The Lady Lions soccer team left the field with a 5-3-2 record and a 1-0 victory over Texas A&M University Corpus Christi.

After a half hour delay, the teams faced off in Strawberry Stadium.

Christopher McBride, head coach, was satisfied with the team’s performance.

“They did a really good job defensively limiting their shots,” said McBride. “We forced them to take three to four shots from about 40 yards out. Our keeper managed to handle, so great defensive performance. Offensively, we created some really great chances. I think there were two chances in the first half we probably should have converted, but luckily enough, we got another chance the second half, and we put it away.”

Sage Sammeli, a freshman midfielder, scored the winning goal about halfway through the second half. She discussed what the team did well.

“This game, we really just gave it our all,” said . “I think the communication and just the hard work really went well tonight, and we had really good composure I thought. We were able to move the ball.”

Vanessa Arzaluz, a senior midfielder, shared her thoughts on the game.

“We just really came out even with the delay, and we just really all worked well together, and we weren’t gonna stop until we got the result we wanted tonight,” said Arzaluz.

Alumni of the soccer program returned to see the current Lady Lions play.

“It’s fantastic,” said McBride. “The alumni are the ones that make this program what it is, and to have them back here, and put on a good performance for them, and show them everything that they developed when they were players here, and to see that still continuing, it means a lot for us.”

The Lady Lions will next face the Houston Baptist University Huskies on Sunday at 1 p.m.

“We just got to make sure we’re prepared for each and every game,” said McBride. “Houston Baptist is gonna be really tough, and I don’t think they played tonight against Nicholls, so they’re gonna be fresh. We’ll get ready. We’ll prepare.”