Self-defense and relaxation

Noah Smith

Muilin Hodges, a resident of Hammond, takes tai chi classes offered by the Recreational Sports and Wellness Center as a form of relaxation and exercise.

Noah Smith, Staff Reporter

Tai chi, or Taiji, is an ancient Chinese exercise form practiced for its uses in self-defense and various health benefits.

Tai chi, whose earliest known use was in 1580, refers to the philosophy of forces known as yin and yang. Although it was used traditionally as a form of self-defense, over time it developed into a form of exercise and relaxation.

The Recreational Sports and Wellness Center offers tai chi classes to students with a motivation to improve coordination, body awareness, balance and circulation.

“Older participants usually take tai chi to help with their balance while younger participants such as students take it to help them focus and study better,” said Kazumi Ishikawa, tai chi instructor.

Tai chi is known to help with arthritis and stiff joints as well as energizing those who practice it. 

“At first after a session, you may feel exhausted and tired more than when you arrived, but after a few sessions, your body will feel relaxed and energized,” said Ishikawa.

Tai chi can be done alone or in a group. Ishikawa’s classes are from 2:00-2:50 p.m. in the Pennington Student Activity Center Room 255 on Mondays and Wednesdays and 5:00-5:50 p.m. on Tuesdays and Thursdays.