Kickstart to Homecoming

Back to Article
Back to Article

Kickstart to Homecoming

Larry Overton, a senior biological sciences and psychology double major, and Ricketta Griffin, a junior social work major, pose at

Larry Overton, a senior biological sciences and psychology double major, and Ricketta Griffin, a junior social work major, pose at "Homecoming Kickoff."

Diamond Hollins

Diamond Hollins

Diamond Hollins

Diamond Hollins, Staff Reporter

The university celebrated the beginning of Homecoming Week.

“Homecoming Kickoff” took place in the Student Union Breezeway on Monday, Oct. 8 from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.

“I could not be happier with the outcome of ‘Homecoming Kickoff,'” said Homecoming Coordinator Alyssa Larose, a junior special education major. “Not only were the students and faculty who came to the event excited about Homecoming, but the local businesses and vendors expressed how impressed they were. It was really fun, and I’m so glad it went so smoothly.”

Various tables were set up including performance by Tim Spinosa, a local magician, and a table with free T-shirts.

“The free T-shirts were a huge hit once again,” said Larose. “I think students really enjoyed taking pictures with Spider-Man as well.”

Other tables represented local community businesses. Owner of Gypsy Hill Boutique Tyra McGary, a 2010 alumna, shared that “Homecoming Kickoff” served as an opportunity to get the word out about the boutique.

“It is an honor to be a part of this to showcase to students what Hammond has to offer,” said McGary. “We are a progressive city, and downtown is vibrant.”

Rosa Locascil, outreach for Southeast Community Health Systems, explained the services the business offers.

“One of the things we offer are affordable services for students,” said Locascil. “You come into the office, tell us you are a student at Southeastern, and we give you the lowest prices for medical services, dental services and more.”

Some tables promoted movements. Sabrina Ward, a senior family and consumer sciences major, explained Hopelion.

Hopelion has partnered with Hopeline, and what we do is basically we collect phones that people no longer want and give them to Verizon who then gives them to shelters for domestic violence victims.

For Larose, kickoff was a good sign for the rest of Homecoming Week.

“If kickoff is any evidence of how the rest of the week will go, I will be happy,” said Larose. “My goal as Homecoming coordinator was to spread lion pride and help people make memories this week. As long as the rain holds out for the rest of the week, I think it will be great.”