Equity in schools

Diamond Hollins, Staff Reporter

The second part of the “Creating a Marketplace of Ideas” panel discussion focused on equity in the education system.

The Department of Educational Leadership and Technology sponsored the event, which was held on Oct. 16 in the Cate Teacher Education Center from 4-8 p.m.

The panel included Senior U.S. District Judge Ivan Lemelle, Tangipahoa Parish Superintendent of Schools Melissa Stilley, Principal of Walker High School Jason St. Pierre, Labor Analyst at North Oaks Health System Tara Hudgins, Patricia Morris and Angie Kret.

Assistant Professor of Educational Leadership and Technology Dr. John Hatcher III, the main facilitator of the event, explained the goal of “Creating a Marketplace of Ideas.”

“The goal of the forum is to allow multiple perspectives to be heard and provide an opportunity for collective action toward resolution of notable challenges in our system of education,” said Hatcher.

Kristin Ripley, a graduate student in educational leadership, helped facilitate the panel and described its structure.

“We have invited a panel of guests to speak about equity and education,” said Ripley. “We will be asking the panelists a series of questions and get their viewpoints and perspectives on the aspect of equality in the school system. It also gives people a platform to speak, share ideas and listen to other people’s ideas.”

Katelynn Ryals, a graduate student in educational leadership, helped facilitate the panel and shared the importance of equity in the education system.

“Equity in education is just a really relevant topic right now,” said Ryals. “There is a lot of misinformation out there, and this event is important because it will give people the opportunity to get the correct information and let people hear information and opinions from the panelist.”

According to Ryals, the panel brought together people in different roles of the education system to offer various perspectives on the topic.

Ripley discussed the opportunity that the panel discussion offered to students, especially education majors.

“It is important for students to attend because students have a right to know the type of education they deserve and should be receiving,” said said Ripley. “For education majors or any student going into the education system, this topic is imperative to be knowledgeable about before going into the classroom because then they’ll be able to provide equity in education for students.”