Where the diversity of art and culture collide

President+of+Cultural+Collision+Ariel+George%2C+a+junior+music+major%2C+paints+for+Cultural+Collision%E2%80%99s+%E2%80%9CPainting+and+Punch.%E2%80%9D+The+student+organization+promotes+cultural+awareness+through+a+variety+of+art+forms.+

Zachary Araki

President of Cultural Collision Ariel George, a junior music major, paints for Cultural Collision’s “Painting and Punch.” The student organization promotes cultural awareness through a variety of art forms.

Zachary Araki, A&E Editor

Through various art forms, Cultural Collision is an organization that aims to promote cultural awareness and diversity on campus.

President of Cultural Collision Ariel George, a junior music major, created the organization “as an escape from school, politics or any other drama, to find peace in what makes every human alike, which are our outlets” with Vice President Deondra Bell, a senior music major.

“Singing, dancing, acting, spoken word, drawing and paintings are ways many people block out the problems of everyday challenges whether they be mundane or critical,” said George. “I wanted there to be a place on Southeastern’s campus that focused on the mental health of each student and focused on the interactions and positive impact we have on one another’s lives daily.”

Cultural Collision began as Black People of Pottle, and the name changed to be more inviting of all cultures. 

“They had so many organizations here in the music building, and one thing we saw was that most of the African-Americans got together a lot,” said Bell. “And we just hung out and did things just to do them, and we felt like this could be a real cool idea if we were to make something like this an organization.”

George discussed the importance of exposure to diversity in art and culture.

“People rarely have true respect for what they don’t understand,” said George. “Cultural Collision allows for a safe place to ask questions that may publicly seem taboo, but need to be discussed. We openly discuss topics like cultural appropriation or what to do or say when you’re put in uncomfortable racial, ethnic conversations. Diversity is needed to provide knowledge that will better help you cope with and love those around you.”

Bell discussed the importance of cultural awareness and knowing what happens in other communities. 

Bell said, “We just see from the outside looking in, and we’re just saying, ‘Oh, they shouldn’t do this, or they shouldn’t do that,’ but sometimes they can’t help it because that’s their culture, or that’s how they were raised. We try to bring awareness to the struggles and what we can do as a whole to try to help other cultures including ourselves come together.”

Bell hopes to present the organization as a professional, uplifting place where people can go to be themselves. To Bell, every person is an artist with a gift.

Bell said, “I feel as though they should use that gift, and a lot of people say, ‘I don’t have a gift,’ and yet, they sit there and they write poetry all the time, or they’re painting, or they’re singing, and they don’t realize the gifts that they have can be inspiring to others, can uplift others, and can bring a lot of people together.”

Anyone interested in joining Cultural Collision can attend general meetings and events, which are usually held on Wednesday, or email [email protected].

George said, “Cultural Collision is the perfect home to those that desire to discover their peers beyond the surface, to submerge themselves in knowledge and peace, then share the unity we’ve created through the arts to Southeastern’s campus.”