Miss Southeastern contestants prepare for pageant

Kayla+Chategnier%2C+a+junior+business+administration+major%2C+practices+with+the+other+Miss+Southeastern+contestants+for+the+pageants+opening+number.+

Zachary Araki

Kayla Chategnier, a junior business administration major, practices with the other Miss Southeastern contestants for the pageant’s opening number.

Zachary Araki, A&E Editor

Contestants for the 2019 Miss Southeastern Pageant may prepare for the competition in a number of different ways, but they practiced the pageant’s opening number together.

The contestants met with 2018 Miss Southeastern Alyssa Larose, a junior elementary education and special education major, and members of the Campus Activities Board in the Pennington Student Activity Center on Nov. 12.

According to Coordinator of CAB Nick Elliott, the scheduling of the practice gave the contestants more time for preparation.

“They last year only got to practice the week of the pageant, so this gives them almost three weeks of practicing they can do on their own,” said Elliott. “Hopefully that gives them more confidence the week of the pageant.”

Baylee Smith, a junior political science major and one of the contestants, shared her thoughts on the practice session.

“I’m really excited that they are practicing with us, and I’m feeling really confident,” said Smith. “I’m getting along great with the girls. I think it’s gonna be a great time.”

Elliott hopes that the contestants have fun at the pageant.

“As long as they’re having fun, and they’re being their true selves, that’s all I want,” said Elliott. “If the stage crashes and burns, that’s fine as long as the contestants are still having fun and we crown a Miss Southeastern. I don’t want to have high expectations for the whole overall performance because it’s not about the performance or the presentation. It’s about who we’re crowning as Miss Southeastern, and they’re representing our university.”

The 2019 Miss Southeastern Pageant is scheduled for Friday, Nov. 30.