The voice of military history

Breanna Rexwinkle

Assistant Professor of History Dr. Samantha Cavell spoke about the history of naval vessels in Louisiana during the 1800s for a guest lecture with the History and Political Science Society.

Breanna Rexwinkle, Staff Reporter

History may not be everyone’s favorite subject, but Assistant Professor of History Dr. Samantha Cavell used her passion for it to present a lecture for the History and Political Science Society.

Cavell’s lecture focused on the history of naval vessels in Louisiana during the 1800s such as the Pioneer, which was launched in February of 1862 in Lake Pontchartrain.

“The purpose of this vessel is to try and combat the U.S. Navy plan, Winfield Scott’s Anaconda Plan,” said Cavell. “This is how we planned to attack the Confederacy. In fact, all of this starts in New Orleans. They were trying to break the blockade that the U.S. Navy put around the southern ports.”

President of HIPS Alan Comardelle, a junior history major, explained what HIPS does.

“Besides the lectures and learning, we also go on trips like the Renaissance fest, visiting plantations in New Orleans, just anything with historical value,” said Comardelle. “It’s a lot of fun.”