Farmers market faced a chill

Iyania+McClendon%2C+a+freshman+kinesiology+major%2C+checks+out+wares+at+Reconnects+farmers+market.+

Jacob Summerville

Iyania McClendon, a freshman kinesiology major, checks out wares at Reconnect’s farmers market.

Jacob Summerville, Staff Reporter

Vendors and visitors of Reconnect’s Farmers Market browsed through goods in cool weather.

The last market of the semester was held on Nov. 14 from 10 a.m. until 2 p.m. in front of the War Memorial Student Union.

Farmers Market Manager for Reconnect Kristin Wiggins, a senior sociology major, shared that some new vendors reserved tables for this semester’s farmers market. One of these vendors is Owner of Java Bits Cory Landry who heard about the market through Owner of Debbs Deisgns Debby Sayler.

Having been open for two years now, Landry explained the products that his business sells.

“Chocolate coffee squares are our main products,” said Landry. “We have three flavors. We have original, amaretto and peppermint. They’re all vegan-friendly, gluten-free and made with a 65 percent dark velvet chocolate and a Sumatran coffee.”

Java Bits has five locations along the Gulf Coast and a Facebook page @JavaBits.

Landry noted that although the weather conditions were not ideal, he enjoyed the atmosphere of the market.

“There’s a nice little crowd,” said Landry. “The setup is really nice. The students are embracing it very well. So, I could see in the warmer months where it’d be a lot better turnout, but it’s cold. So, everybody wants to have warmth.”

Sayler’s home-based business specializes in natural soaps and handmade jewelry, scarves and hats. Despite the weather, she enjoys the farmers market each time she attends.

“I really love it here,” said Sayler. “Everybody’s so nice. This is my third year, and it’s been wonderful every time. Even when it’s hot or cold, it’s been very good business-wise, and I like the people a lot.”

Reconnect is in the process of deciding dates for the market next semester.