Delta Sigma Theta mixes culture and art

The+Nu+Delta+Chapter+of+Delta+Sigma+Theta+Sorority%2C+Inc.+held+its+first+Culture+Remix+with+performances+including+songs%2C+poetry+and+dance.+

Zachary Araki

The Nu Delta Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. held its first “Culture Remix” with performances including songs, poetry and dance.

Zachary Araki, A&E Editor

The Nu Delta Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. promoted cultures from Panama to Nepal with informational tabling followed by dances, songs and poetry.

The first “Culture Remix” was held in the Student Union Theater at 7 p.m. on Nov. 28.

Cultural awareness motivated the sorority to hold “Culture Remix.”

Vice President of the Nu Delta Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Cayla Bean, a junior health systems management major, said, “We wanted to let Southeastern know that we have different cultures on this campus, and we were giving them a way to see these cultures and not just the basic way of just during International Week because some people don’t go out for that week, so we wanted them to see those cultures that they’ve never seen before.”

According to President of the Nu Delta Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Gabrielle Scioneaux, a senior kinesiology major, her sorority put a twist in the event.

Scioneaux said, “Normally when people present other cultures, they do it in a different way where we put on a production, and we had a little bit of an informational at the beginning, kind of change it up a little bit, which is basically where we got the name ‘Culture Remix.'”

Member of the Nu Delta Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Chambria Harrison, a senior communication major, hosted and performed at “Culture Remix.”

“Hosting is definitely fun for me because i just like talking to people and making people laugh,” said Harrison. “Performing music is very important to me, so this being my last performance with an event that was put on by my organization, my sorority, it came full circle for me.”

Harrison believes the night of culture and performances was a success.

“Being that it was our last event of the semester, I feel like we had a really great turnout,” said Harrison. “It was something different for our organization. We usually don’t put on talent type shows. The fact that we were able to incorporate the culture side of campus and the artistic side of campus in one event was really spectacular.”