Ring ceremony honors seniors

Graduating+seniors+accepts+their+university+rings+at+ring+ceremony+ahead+of+commencement.+

Johnathan Zeringue

Graduating seniors accepts their university rings at ring ceremony ahead of commencement.

Johnathan Zeringue, Staff Reporter

The ring ceremony marked the next step towards graduation for seniors.

The Alumni Association and Balfour hosted the celebration on Wednesday, Nov. 28.

Associate Director of the Alumni Association Jenni O’Neil shared the preparation that went towards the ceremonial night.

“We started planning near the beginning of the semester,” said O’Neil. “We have been doing ring night for several years now, and we have tweaked it to make improvements each year.”

Austin Arnold, a senior finance major, remarked on the significance of the ceremony for him and his family.

“It’s important to have, for my mother went here,” said Arnold. “That’s why I went here because of her, and I’m proud to be a lion. This ring symbolizes me being a part of the university.”

1981 Alumnus John Neal spoke of his respect for the resilience of his daughter Lauryn Poche, a senior health systems management major.

“The reason I’m so proud of her is because she put her family first and then went back to college,” said Neal. “She raised two beautiful daughters, took care of her husband, and has gone to school for last four to five years. I’m very proud of her, and it’s been a long time coming.”

O’Neil expressed her devotion towards the annual ring ceremony.

“It marks a milestone in one’s educational career,” said O’Neil. “This is near the point where they’re getting ready to graduate, so it’s a special occasion for students and their families to celebrate with them.”