Performances, awards and the crown

Baylee+Smith+performed+a+Prince-themed+dance+routine+during+the+talent+competition+at+the+Miss+Southeastern+2019+pageant.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Performances, awards and the crown

Baylee Smith performed a Prince-themed dance routine during the talent competition at the Miss Southeastern 2019 pageant.

Jacob Summerville

Jacob Summerville

Jacob Summerville

Jacob Summerville, Staff Reporter

Chelsey Blank, a junior accounting major, has been named Miss Southeastern 2019.

The pageant took place on Nov. 30 at 7 p.m. in the Vonnie Borden Theatre and was hosted by the Campus Activities Board.

Blank shared her reaction to hearing her name being announced as the winner.

“I was really, really shocked,” Blank exclaimed. “I didn’t expect it, but I was ready for it. I know that I could make people proud, and I’m excited.”

Along with her title, Blank also won the Talent Award and the Academic Award. The first runner-up was Aesha Magee, a senior health systems management major. The second runner-up was Lily Torbert, a sophomore double majoring in biological sciences and Spanish, won the Miss Congeniality award.

Torbert explained the importance that the award has to her.

“While it is a blessing to be second runner-up, I feel like if you can’t win the competition without being graceful with the other contestants, then you really don’t deserve to be there,” Torbert shared. “I think that all the people that placed and won awards tonight really showed that they were great with us.”

Baylee Smith, a junior political science major, won the Lifestyle and Fitness Award and the People’s Choice Award. The Miracle Maker Award was given to Kayla Chategnier, a junior business administration major.

Blank shared her plans for after the pageant to celebrate her new title.

Blank said, “First, I’m going to eat because I’m really hungry, and then next, I’m going to get ready for finals and Disney World.”