Opportunities for peer fitness

Jacob Summerville/The Lion's Roar

The University Health Center set up a table in the Student Union Breezeway to promote their fitness programs SOAR and Lighten Up Lions. SOAR is a peer-to-peer educational program, and Lighten Up Lions is a free fitness program offered by Recreational Sports and Wellness.

To help students with their fitness New Year resolutions, the University Health Center promoted programs like the Student Outreach and Advocacy Representatives, or SOAR, and Lighten Up Lions.

The UHC set up a table in the Student Union Breezeway on Monday, Jan. 28 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.

Kirsten Dantin, a graduate assistant for the UHC, explained that SOAR is a peer-to-peer educational program.

“You’re actually certified to be a peer educator,” said Dantin. “We just want to promote students teaching other students about things that are relevant on campus like alcohol awareness, drug prevention, sexual assault awareness month, things like that.”

Meetings are held weekly on Thursdays at 5 p.m. in the health center.

Lighten Up Lions is a seven-week, free fitness program offered by Recreational Sports and Wellness.

Kayla Noll, a graduate assistant for the UHC, shared that the program can take a maximum of 30 students, and she explained a goal of Lighten Up Lions.

“We help students make healthier choices that they can keep up even when the program is done,” stated Noll.

Dantin discussed what students can expect during the program.

“We try to help you come up with a good exercise plan and try to keep you accountable to the goals that you want to make in the program,” explained Dantin.

This semester, the deadline for registration is Feb. 7.