A sorority lends a helping hand

Diamond Hollins

Nahilia Colbert, a junior kinesiology major, Gracishone Floyd, a senior psychology major, and Tyrean Celestine, a sophomore family and consumer sciences major worked at the table set up by Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc. to give out free supplies such as highlighters, pens, folders and notebooks to students. The sorority set up a table on Tuesday, Jan. 29 from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. in the Student Union Breezeway.

Members of Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc. distributed free supplies to students to serve its community.

“Operation BigBookBag” was organized on Tuesday, Jan. 29 from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. in the Student Union Breezeway. Members of Sigma Gamma Rho bought supplies including highlighters, pens, folders and notebooks to give to students.

“Hopefully, students who don’t have school supplies know that they can come here and get some,” explained Gracishone Floyd, a senior psychology major. “That way, they are not going in class without a pen or a notebook.”

Sigma Gamma Rho plans to continue holding the event and make its presence known on campus.

Nahilia Colbert, a junior kinesiology major, explained the importance of giving out free supplies.

“As college students, we all know what it is like to struggle,” shared Colbert. “So, we decided to give back to students and help them out a little in this college process.”