Hatcher named Officer of the Year

Prakriti Adhikari

The University Police Department named Jourdan Hatcher the 2018 Officer of the Year. Recently, Hatcher completed Field Training Officer School, certifying him to train other officers in the performance of their duties.

Jourdan Hatcher, university police officer, was named the University Police Department’s 2018 Officer of the Year for his work ethic, initiative and leadership abilities.

After working at the university for four years, Hatcher was delightfully surprised to receive the recognition.

“It’s truly an honor and caught me by surprise,” said Hatcher. “I’m thankful for the guidance of my co-workers over the last few years.”

Hatcher always wanted to be a police officer and is happy with the profession.

“Becoming a police officer was at the forefront of what I wanted to do when I grew up,” shared Hatcher. “I loved the college experience, and after visiting Southeastern’s campus, I was sold. After all, there’s always something fun going on around campus.”

In a press release from the university, Harold Todd, the director of UPD, attributed Hatcher’s friendliness, professionalism and motivation among other qualities that made him stand out.

“Officer Hatcher has proven to be friendly, motivated, intelligent, community-oriented and professional,” said Todd. “He consistently demonstrates a calm, controlled demeanor even under stressful, dynamic, rapidly-evolving situations.”

Hatcher holds the position of housing liaison officer where he collaborates with students and professionals to help maintain a safe environment on campus.

“As housing liaison officer, I perform patrols on foot and bicycle of all on-campus residential facilities and adjacent areas,” explained Hatcher. “I respond to any calls in these areas, which may include noise complaints, medical emergencies or reports of criminal activity. I also oversee the housing cadet program.”

Before working for the university, Hatcher worked for the University of Southern Mississippi Police Department.

“More recently I worked as a dispatcher at both a city and university police department,” said Hatcher. “I answered E-911 calls and dispatched police and fire departments among other duties.”

Hatcher pursued his undergraduate degree in criminal justice from the University of Southern Mississippi and is currently studying organizational communication at Southeastern Louisiana University.

“Late Night Breakfast” and “Blue and You” are Hatcher’s favorite events to work.

“‘Late Night Breakfast,’ in part because breakfast is my favorite meal of the day,” said Hatcher. “I also enjoy helping out at our ‘Blue and You’ events as it is a way to better our relationship with the university community.”

Hatcher recently completed his Field Training Officer School, certifying him to train other officers in the performance of their duties.

“One of my goals was to be successful as a university police officer,” affirmed Hatcher. “In accepting the position, I moved from Mississippi and had a lot of training to complete including the police academy. Another goal was to improve my people skills as I transitioned from behind-the-console to direct interaction in the field. These goals are still relevant today.”

Hatcher discussed what he hopes to achieve in the future.

“I plan to continue my graduate studies and advance my career in law enforcement,” shared Hatcher. “I enjoy working in the university setting and am excited about where it will lead me.”