Get ready for graduation

File Photo/The Lion's Roar

With student working to finish their final semester of school, the Alumni Association prepares to help seniors gather their final memorabilia at “Grad Fair.”

Jennifer O’Neil, associate director of alumni programming, gave insight on what to expect when visiting the “Grad Fair.”

“’Grad Fair’ is a one-stop shop for everything graduation,” shared O’Neil. “Students have the opportunity to purchase their cap and gown, take graduation photos, order their class ring and graduation invitations.”

O’Neil added that “Grad Fair” keeps students connected for future events.

“They can also visit with representatives from many of the graduate programs, join the Lion Legacy campaign, and learn more about what services are available to them after graduation,” said O’Neil. “Career services will also be there to answer questions about post-graduation job searches.”

A new aspect of the event will be to help students make connections with the real world professionals.

“This year, the Alumni GOLD Council, Graduates of the Last Decade, is also working on a networking event that will be held after ‘Grad Fair’ where students will have the opportunity to practice their networking skills and make worthwhile connections with area alumni,” explained O’Neil. “It’s a great opportunity to not only prepare for graduation but also what comes next.”

O’Neil thinks the most important aspect of the fair is the records and registration.

“One crucial area that should not be missed is the records and registration table,” shared O’Neil. “They are there to ensure that your diploma has all of the correct information on it. We also encourage students to take advantage of the free graduation photos.”

O’Neil stressed the importance of the event to future graduates due to the convenient access to graduation needs.

“It’s important to attend ‘Grad Fair’ because it’s designed to make the graduation prep much easier and less stressful,” explained O’Neil. “This is also their last opportunity to order their class ring and take free graduation photos, which will also be in the yearbook. We also want to make sure that students are aware of all of the tools and resources available to them through the alumni office and career services, their post-graduation success is so important to us and we want to help in any way we can.”

Based on past experience, O’Neil offered advice to seniors.

“There isn’t much prep needed beforehand, but students who are taking advantage of the free photos should come photo ready,” said O’Neil. “Hair and makeup done, manicured nails and clean-shaven faces make for the best photos. There are several items for purchase at ‘Grad Fair’ such as caps and gown, invitations, rings and philanthropy cords, so knowing what you want and need to spend is helpful.”

The spring 2019 “Grad Fair” will be held in the Student Union Ballroom on March 12 from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. and March 13 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.