Spring concert showcases student talent

The+Spring+Dance%2FMovement+Studies+Concert+highlighted+modern+themes+in+society.+In+the+performance%2C+dancers+showed+off+their+skill.+

Diamond Hollins/The Lion's Roar

The “Spring Dance/Movement Studies Concert” highlighted modern themes in society. In the performance, dancers showed off their skill.

Members of the dance program displayed their artistic talents in a spring concert that addressed societal themes.

The “Spring Dance/Movement Studies Concert” took place on Feb. 27-28 in the Vonnie Borden Theatre from 7:30-8:30 p.m.

Keith “Skip” Costa, director of dance, shared that performances like the concert can enforce positive qualities.

“Students should always take advantage of the wonderful performances that our contemporary dance program students put on each semester, which is two to three per semester,” said Costa. “These performances enlighten their lives and help with the communication process for us to live in a better world together.”

Although Malia Brown, a freshman family and consumer sciences major, attended the performance for class, she found the performance offered a creative perspective on hope and identity.

“It was so enlightening in such a unique way,” shared Brown. “For me, it was about keeping the faith in such a dark world and figuring out who you are and where you fit in society.”

Brown believes the dances’ subjects related to modern society.

Brown explained, “The topics that the dances portrayed are so important in this day and age because identity, hope, fear and conflict are all things that humans struggle with on a daily basis and will continue to struggle with.”