Tennis Club looks to start on campus

Ceci+Mercier%2C+a+senior+on+the+tennis+team%2C+watches+the+ball+in+a+match+against+McNeese+State+University.+Daniel+Anders%2C+coach+of+the+Tennis+Club%2C+looks+to+build+a+sports+club+for+tennis+on+campus.+

File Photo/The Lion’s Roar

Ceci Mercier, a senior on the tennis team, watches the ball in a match against McNeese State University. Daniel Anders, coach of the Tennis Club, looks to build a sports club for tennis on campus.

The university will try to continue to add more sports clubs this semester with tennis as the new addition.

The club is open to anyone who wants to join.

“The top few players will get to represent the school at regionals, but everyone can come play,” said Daniel Anders, coach for the tennis club. “This is our first year to have a team. Last year, we began the process, but our group of players just ended up being too busy. So, our hope is to invite those same players back and find more who can help us create a fun and competitive team. ”

According to Anders, the coed club will be a great fit for students who quit playing for various reasons.

“I know we have amazing players on campus, so I hope they all come out,” explained Anders. “We started because this campus has amazing players who were incredible in high school and have had to stop playing because there wasn’t anywhere they fit nearby, because there are spectacular athletes who want to learn, and because why not – more opportunities for campus involvement and friends you keep for life. I played at LSU, and it was the best experience I had playing this sport.”

The club looks to get involved in tournaments and competitive play.

“We will look to play competitively soon as available, but tournaments are played year-round leading up to regionals near the end of the spring semester and nationals at the start of summer,” stated Anders. “The tournaments usually take place in Surprise, Arizona or Orlando, Florida. So, we would love to qualify, but it will be a challenge.”

Anders discussed that the cost to join the club are not finalized yet.

“We will need to price uniforms and court costs and tournament fees and balls, but altogether it shouldn’t be but about $100 and extra costs for food and travel to tournaments,” shared Anders. “I don’t know the numbers, but studies have shown that you do better in class with extracurricular events in your life.”

The benefits of joining may include making new friends and traveling to new places among others.

“Joining the tennis club will not only allow you to practice and play a lifelong sport, but you meet new people, have a new friend group, and get to travel to tournaments in cities you wouldn’t otherwise go to,” expressed Anders. “If one joins the tennis club, there is no doubt in my mind that lifelong friendships would be built, and people will develop sister and brotherhoods. If you are interested, you should really think about signing up.”

Anders invited anyone interested in playing to stop by the Pennington Activity Center on March 13 at 6:30 p.m.