A seminar teaches success in the real world

Shaelyn Martinez/The Lion's Roar

David Faucheux, instructor of management and business administration, talks to students about expanding professional skills. The National Society of Collegiate Scholars hosted the seminar on April 2 in Fayard Hall room 205.

The National Society of Collegiate Scholars hosted a seminar to help students prepare for the real world.

The seminar was held on April 2 in Fayard Hall room 205. NSCS chose David Faucheux, instructor of management and business administration, to present the “Secrets to Real World Success” talk about expanding professional skills. In the talk, Faucheux explained the five things he learned on his journey.

“It was to give students an idea of what is expected of them once they graduate, to give them secrets of what the real world is looking for, and to set them up to win,” shared Faucheux.

NSCS defines itself as an honor society with members who positively impact their campuses and communities by participating in service, preparing for future endeavors, and connecting with other students.

Whitney Bourdier, president of NSCS, shared how the organization has grown.

“Last semester, this organization was on the brink of death, and today seems to be the most successful event in its 11 year history at Southeastern,” said Bourdier.

Kelsey Mack, a junior art major, attended the seminar after encouragement from Bourdier. Initially, she did not expect to enjoy the event.

“I expected to be bored and not really obtain much knowledge and thought the seminar would not make any impact on me,” stated Mack.

Listening to the talk, however, changed Mack’s perspective.

“My favorite part was the interview tips he let us in on,” shared Mack. “I had no idea that there were such small actions I could take to make such a large impression on a potential employer. I cannot wait to go and utilize the tools Faucheux taught us.”