Requirements for joining organizations should not include hazing

After becoming a member of a Greek organization during the Fall 2018 semester, I quickly learned about hazing – not because I was involved in the act, but because they made sure to prevent it at all costs. I took online courses about hazing and went to meetings that involved talks about how it was strictly prohibited.

I was never able to give my opinion about hazing. Some organizations have strict terms when it comes to hazing, and some simply follow the rules that the university implements.

Personally, I would not be willing to be forced to go through any of these tasks to be considered a part of an organization. Your fellow members should accept you and have enough respect towards you to not consider hazing as a proper requirement.

According to StopHazing, a resource for hazing research and prevention, more than half of college students involved in clubs, teams and organizations have experienced hazing. The website also mentions that 26% participate in drinking games, 12% drink large amounts of alcohol to the point of getting sick or passing out, 11% are deprived of sleep, and lastly, 10% are screamed, yelled or cursed at by other members.

I believe that the university does a good job of implementing the hazing policies on campus and makes sure that students are informed and following the rules. The rules that they implement are proper.

Some acts that the university considers hazing are physical brutality, activities that involve excessive consumption of food or liquid, requiring an individual to perform a task, and even sleep deprivation.

On the university website, hazing is defined as a person or people directing an intentional and reckless act when they knew the act endangers the health or safety of the other person or creates severe emotional distress. The act can be associated with pledging, initiation, being affiliated with, participating, holding office or being a member of any organization.

You never want to be the guy that tells. Usually, people wait until someone else does the dirty work for them because they do not want to get looked at as the bad guy.

In an article titled “Parents’ Guide to Hazing – How to Keep Your Children Safe,” Dr. Susan Lipkins, hazing expert and psychologist, explained the code of silence based on fear.

“Sometimes the fear is real, and intimidation and threats are used,” stated Lipkins. “Sometimes the fear is implied, such as the fear of retribution or social isolation.”

I feel like the University Police Department does a really good job keeping the school in line. Rather than hearing the university’s name all over the news for hazing, we tend to hear about hazing prevention on campus.

The university also does a good job of telling students that the information that they give will be confidential. They know how students are and want to make sure that they feel like the campus is a safe zone.

Even though I want to believe that every organization on campus follows the hazing policies, that is just not likely. Though the statistics show that many universities have a heavy amount of hazing throughout the campus, I believe our school keeps it under control.

The university gave me a sense of home as soon as I walked on campus. I can imagine how hard it would be for one to perform well in school if they are getting hazed or bullied. Do not hesitate to reach out to someone if you feel you are a victim of being hazed.