Seniors display the culmination of their talent

Attendees+check+out+the+artworks+by+senior+art+majors+at+the+senior+exhibition+in+the+Contemporary+Art+Gallery.+

Maiah Woodring/The Lion's Roar

Attendees check out the artworks by senior art majors at the senior exhibition in the Contemporary Art Gallery.

Senior art majors presented their undergraduate work at the “Department of Visual Art + Design Senior Exhibition.”

The exhibition was held on May 2 at 5 p.m. in the Contemporary Art Gallery with admittance and refreshment free of charge.

According to Dale Newkirk, head of the Department of Visual Art and Design, about 27 seniors presented at the exhibit with a greater than average attendance at 500.

“For these students, though, this is really more important than when they walk in graduation,” stated Newkirk. “This is a big deal. This is where they get to show their family and the faculty what they’ve been working on for four years. This is a culmination of where they are as artists, and they’re getting to show that in a professional exhibition space with their name in vinyl on the wall. So, that’s a big deal, and that means a lot to them.”

Olivia Goll, a senior art major, discussed her experience displaying her ceramics.

“I put it all up,” said Goll. “I took a step back, and I looked at it, and I was like, ‘This is so awesome.’ I’ve been working years for this, and it’s finally here, and I’ve seen a lot of other people do it, but when it’s your own work, it’s like making a baby. It’s your own thing.”

Goll advised other art students to plan ahead.

“I knew a girl,” shared Goll. “She did all of her work in one semester, and it just about killed her. I saw that, and I knew to plan ahead. So, that’s what I did. I had sketches. I had ideas. I knew what my topic was about, and that’s what I did instead of waiting till the last minute.”