Freshmen connect with student organizations

A+freshman+talks+to+a+representative+from+the+University+Counseling+Center+during+the+seminar.+With+over+100+organizations+on+campus%2C+attendees+at+Calm%2C+Cool+and+Connected+got+to+view+some+opportunities+to+become+involved.+

Shaelyn Martinez

A freshman talks to a representative from the University Counseling Center during the seminar. With over 100 organizations on campus, attendees at “Calm, Cool and Connected” got to view some opportunities to become involved.

Freshman gathered to browse organizations so that they can venture out and learn more about what the university offers.

“Calm, Cool and Connected” took place from Aug. 4-5 from 8 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. in the Student Union Ballroom each day. Students attended the seminar during their SE 101 period that freshmen are enrolled in. Freshman advisers put on this event in hopes that students make connections with organizations.

Kaitlyn Doyle, a freshman nursing major, attended the seminar and enjoyed the event.

“I liked it because you can actually like talk to the people that are within the organizations,” said Doyle. “It’s better than reading it off some website because getting involved is definitely very interesting.”

Doyle’s friend, Grace Williams, a freshman nursing major, felt similarly about attending the event.

“It’s a different way to see for people who want to get involved and not know how to and not knowing what to do or how to take action in that,” explained Williams. “This is a way to actually talk to them and see what is it about and not having to go out of my way to do that.”

Yazmyn Smith, an academic adviser, explained what she thinks the event brings to freshmen.

“I think it is an opportunity to showcase what Southeastern has for them because a lot of times, they do not know what they don’t know,” discussed Smith. “So, I believe this gives them the opportunity to have to see what Southeastern offers.”

Smith also explained what how she thinks the event could improve.

Smith shared, “I would hope that more organizations would participate because this is the one opportunity in the year where the organizations can meet with every single freshman.”