A showcasing of university fraternities

Dylan Meche

Delta Tau Delta was one fraternity that participated in the “IFC BBQ” on Sept. 9. The event created an atmosphere for fellowship, according to some of its attendees.

The Interfraternity Council welcomed fraternal organizations on campus to come together for food, games and socialization as a part of the council’s recruitment.

Held on Sept. 9 from 5:30 – 7:30 p.m., the purpose of “IFC BBQ” is for members of different fraternal organizations to interact with each other and attract new members before rush begins.

Travis Jones, a member of the IFC and Delta Tau Delta, explained that the event allows students to see the on-campus involvement and strides for unity that Greek Life provides.

“We want to build community, make it stronger and show that we are all out here as one,” said Jones “Then we are out by the union to show students try to grow our community, make an impact on campus and show that we really care. We hope that students get a good sense of what Greek Life is really like and the sense of brotherhood that comes with it.”

Josh Ballard, vice president of recruitment for IFC and member of Delta Tau Delta, shared the benefits that he sees from hosting this event.

“This is a way for guys to come out and met different fraternities here on campus, get some free food and just really get to know the other guys because everyone out here gets to know each other,” explained Ballard. “Over the next two days, we are also going to have recruitment dinners, so meeting the guys today leads into that. By the time bid day comes around on Thursday, they will basically get to find their home. That’s what fraternity is all about.”