In the Lion Light: Michael Kyles Jr.

Michael Kyles Jr.

Students finds avenues to return to the university even after graduating.

Michael Kyles Jr. graduated from the university in 2009 with a bachelor’s degree in social studies education and received his master’s degree in 2012 in educational leadership.

Kyles is currently involved with the university as GOLD council member and a member of the African American alumni chapter. He informed what he has been occupied with since his departure from the university in 2012.

“Currently employed with the Tangipahoa Parish School System as Co-Principal of Hammond Eastside Magnet School, I am also going into my second year of doctoral studies at SLU,” said Kyles. “I work with the Upward Bound Program at SLU where I teach Reading and the Step Cultural Class in the summer. I am also still actively involved with my fraternity.”

While a member of the university, Kyles was involved in Campus Activities Board, Student Government Association, The National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, Gospel choir, Project PULL, The Lion’s Roar newspaper, Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc. and The National Pan-Hellenic council.

Kyles feels that the university has shaped him into being the best that he can be.

“I contribute a lot of my work ethic and attention to detail from working in the numerous organizations and departments at SLU,” expressed Kyles. “I am grateful for the experiences I have had working under great leaders and staff at Southeastern.”

Datron Matthews , a 2019 graduate of the university, was a member of Phi Beta Sigma with Kyles. He shared what he thinks Kyles brings as a leader to students.

“The thing that I admire about Mr. Kyles is that he helped us gain these skills in a self taught environment,” said Matthews. “He entrusts us enough to not lead us by the hand, but instead encourage us to step out and earn every skill that we need. He places us in the appropriate situations, around the appropriate people, so that we may elevate and grow as he has.”

Kyles noticed some new changes in the university since he was a student.

“It has grown in terms of the student population which is great,” noticed Kyles. “The living arrangements are much different as I was the last class to live in Lee Hall which is now a field on the front of campus. I also love the new addition to Friendship Circle with the Lion sculpture.”

Kyles encouraged university students to really get connected on campus and evolve to make college life meaningful.

“Find your ‘Roar’ at SLU,” said Kyles. “This can be done by joining at least one organization on campus, attending athletic events and staying focused on academics. I would also encourage students to find a mentor to assist and provide guidance as they go through their college experience.”

Matthews believes that Kyle is a example to students at the university since he has taken much advice and example away from being surrounded by him.

“Mr. Kyles has worked alongside some of Southeastern’s budding leaders during different workshops and events, and even attending the Southwestern Black Student Leadership Conference with a select group of Southeastern students,” said Matthews. “Mr. Kyles helps to promote the importance of leadership on campus and helps to place students in the right situations to succeed, much like he has done for myself for many years.”

Editor’s Note: This story has been edited for clarity and grammar. 09/13/2019