NAACP spreads voting awareness

Members+of+the+university+chapter+of+NAACP+set+up+a+boot+at+the+War+Memorial+Student+Union+Breezeway+to+spread+voting+awareness+to+students.+

Gabrielle Wood/The Lion's Roar

Members of the university chapter of NAACP set up a boot at the War Memorial Student Union Breezeway to spread voting awareness to students.

The university chapter of  National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, known as the NAACP, hosted a “Voting Is A Right” booth in the War Memorial Student Union. The event was held on Tuesday, Oct. 1 from 12-3 p.m. 

The NAACP’s goal on campus is to inform students on minority issues on campus and locally, with the ultimate goal of having an environment that is equal to all. 

One of the categories that the NAACP focuses on is voter empowerment. The organization  believes that voting is an essential in creating change for everyone. Areas of voter empowerment that the organization seeks to achieve within the student body is voter registration and turnout, voter education and election protection. 

The NAACP’s event consisted of a voter registration set up, and members were able to educate students who were interested in learning more about voting. 

Alaina Lagrange, member of NAACP, discussed why the organization is active in voter rights and how important the topic is for students.

“The National Association of the Advancement of Colored People has come out here in the Breezeway today to get students on campus more aware and educated on their voting rights and responsibilities,” stated Lagrange. “We have a station set up where students can register to vote, and we’re all very eager to answer any questions someone may have to let everyone know why they should vote.” 

With early voting and elections coming up, the NAACP hopes to have students participate and exercising their right to have a say in local and national issues. 

For more information on how to vote or join the NAACP, visit their page on the university’s website or attend a meeting in the War Memorial Student Union Ballroom, every Tuesday at 4:45 p.m.