Homecoming Week kicks off with a celebration

Dr.+Eric+Summers%2C+vice+president+for+student+affairs%2C+hands+out+T-shirts+to+students+in+the+Student+Union+Breezeway.+The+university+marked+the+beginning+of+Homecoming+Week+on+Monday%2C+Oct.+7.+

Dylan Meche/The Lion's Roar

Dr. Eric Summers, vice president for student affairs, hands out T-shirts to students in the Student Union Breezeway. The university marked the beginning of Homecoming Week on Monday, Oct. 7.

The 2019 Homecoming Week has officially begun.

The Student Government Association, Campus Activities Board and several other university organizations came together to host the Homecoming Kickoff to commemorate the start of Homecoming Week.

The event began as SGA handed out free homecoming T-shirts to students, University Donuts hosted a donut-eating contest, and students and faculty were able to enjoy free pizza and popcorn.

Madison Ledet, a freshman nursing major, helped SGA at the event and feels that the Homecoming Kickoff is a great way to start off Homecoming Week.

“This event is a great way to spread school spirit and get people excited for all of the events we have planned for Homecoming Week,” said Ledet. “As a freshman, I was really interested in seeing all of what Southeastern has to offer and seeing how much SGA puts into Homecoming each year is really exciting.”

Ledet also shared that SGA wants to emphasize to students through Homecoming events that there is more to school than just going to classes.

“Through Homecoming Week, we get to promote SGA and get the students excited to be a part of Southeastern,” explained Ledet. “The students are certainly happier because of this and I am very excited for all the great things we have going on throughout the week.”

Chris Price, a freshman kinesiology major, expressed that the kickoff made him excited for Homecoming Week.

“The kickoff is a lot of fun,” said Price. “Everyone is hanging out, and you get to meet new people, and it is just exciting. I am most excited about the game. It is going to be very fun.”

Dakota Bush, a freshman computer science major, echoed this feeling.

“Homecoming is a great opportunity for everyone to get involved and just have fun,” shared Bush. “Especially as a freshman, it is a great opportunity for me to grow closer to the campus community.”