Celebrating LGBTQ history with standOUT

Maggie Tregre

Members of standOUT hosted an informational tabling event to inform students and faculty about LGBTQ History Month, which is celebrated all through the month of October.

October is National LGBTQ History Month. 

The university’s organization for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer questioning students and allies, standOUT, hosted an informational tabling event on October 24. 

At the table, students could learn about significant people and events from over the course of the LGBTQ history. They could also learn about the history of gender throughout many different cultures. 

Sabrae Nasset, a sophomore general studies major, is a member of standOUT. Nasset explained that she thinks it is important for members of the LGBTQ community to be able to celebrate their history.

“I feel it’s important for other people in the community because it shows them that there is something that they can be proud of within this community,” stated Nasset. “There is a strong history of LGBTQ communities working to move forward and working for each other. I think it’s very important that people know that.”

Nasset also expressed the importance of people not in the LGBTQ+ community being able to understand the importance of history month.

“People outside the community too, yes, it’s great because it gives them a window to see some of the good that can be done and that has been done,” said Nasset. “I think it’s especially important for the other LGBTQ members of the community.”

Gwyneth Sternfels, a sophomore social studies education major and a member of standOUT, feels that the organization is a safe space for LGBTQ students to interact and seek refuge against the challenges and prejudices they face.

“Especially these days, with LGBT hate crimes on the rise, LGBT students need to be included in a sort of community other than this,” said Sternfels. “They only have the support group in the union, and I think that we do more activities. Our whole goal is just a sense of community in general, to make sure nobody feels left out or isolated in a heteronormative world.”

StandOUT will be hosting another event on Nov. 20 on the International Transgender Day of Remembrance.