Get advised for spring classes

With the fall semester nearing an end, students and staff have begun preparing for the 2020 spring semester with student advising.

Advising is different for all concentrations and classifications with some departments like biological sciences having two advisors per student.

Dr. Edward Nelson, professor of biological sciences and undergraduate coordinator, explained why the Department of Biological Sciences issues two advisors per student.

“We do this because we have so many undergraduate students in the biology department,” said Nelson. “Another reason is just in case the advisor can not meet with the student, they will have another option to go too. In the very rare instance will the student go to the second advisor because he or she does not get along with their first advisor.”

Nelson shared his favorite aspect of advising undergraduate students.

“I like helping students in planning their future,” said Nelson. “I also like talking to students about what kinds of careers they can go into after they leave here. A lot of them will ask about medical school, graduate school or dental school.”

Cabrina Gordon, a graduate student and academic advisor in the Department of Communications and Media Studies, explained how the department is different from others in terms of advising.

“The communication department is the only department on campus that has graduate assistants as the academic advisor,” shared Gordon. “In this department, there are four of us that are also graduate students, and we take on the responsibility of overseeing progress in the academic degree plans of the communication undergraduates. We advise students starting at their sophomore year to their last semester before graduation. We also require that students meet with us face-to-face before we lift their registration holds.”

Gordon has been an advisor since the summer semester of 2018. She shared her favorite part of advising students.

“My favorite part about advising students is addressing their concerns and getting a feel of their interests so I can ensure that they take classes that are best suited for their career aspirations,” expressed Gordon.

With the Department of Communication and Media Studies having a total of four advisors, Gordon explained how students are assigned to an advisor.

“The four advisors are based on the first letter of their last names,” shared Gordon. “Students also receive emails periodically throughout the semester from their advisors. We also have an open-door policy for our students. So, any time they have questions or concerns about their major, they can come and speak to us.”

Jessica McMillian, a science, technology, math and engineering academic advisor, shared that students get confused between advising and registering.

“A lot of students will assume when they come to me that they are scheduling their classes for the spring semester,” stated McMillian. “When they have an appointment with their advisor, it is really just to show them what classes they have to take next for their degree.”

McMillian shared how the Center for Student Excellence helps students with their challenges.

“We will look at their current grades in each course and ask them what are they having difficulties with,” stated McMillian. “If that student needs extra attention, we will then help them and make sure they are on the right track. If their grades are struggling, then we will advise them to go to tutoring.”

Spring semester advising will end on Thursday, Nov. 21 and priority registration will begin on Monday, Nov. 18.