MISA recognizes outstanding students

Maggie Tregre/The Lion's Roar

Participants enjoy food during the MISA Holiday Celebration. The event was hosted on Dec. 5 and recognized students for their hard work and contribution to the university by handing awards.

The Office of Multicultural and International Student Affairs’ holiday celebration brought together students of multiple backgrounds for a night of food, awards and community.

On Dec. 5, MISA hosted the event in the War Memorial Student Union ballroom. Students brought their family and friends to celebrate the holiday season and recognize the hard work of their peers.

Mattie Hawkins, a graduate assistant for MISA, explained that the event is held in order to give back to the students who contribute to the university.

“I believe it’s a way to show our appreciation to the student body,” said Hawkins. “We recognize all the great things that they do for our campus, the many contributions, the time and effort that they put into our university. We just want to give something back to them and let them know that we are supporting you, we are proud of you, we are here as a program and resource for you.”

The celebration provided free food to those who attended. There was also a live performance by Zakiya Miller as well as the presentation of multiple awards to students.

Ruhullah Ashiru, a junior supply chain management major, received the International Lion Award during the evening. Ashiru mentioned that he enjoyed the atmosphere of the event.

“It was beautiful,”commented Ashiru. “I liked the music. I liked the vibe, everything. The people were very nice. I’ve got a couple of my friends but I knew some people who were here and they’re doing big things, which kind of makes me feel like I need to step up my game and try to do what they’re doing. It’s kind of a push for me. It was really nice, and I enjoyed it.”