Lions football teaches fundamentals to females

Jasmine Tate

Lion football debuted its first female- targeted education seminar titled “High Heel Huddle” on Wednesday, April 17 during the Annual Business and Community Expo, hosted by the Hammond Chamber of Commerce.
Beginning at 6:30 p.m., head football coach Ron Roberts and his staff began teaching the sport’s fundamentals, penalties, plays, offense and defensive lineups and answered questions from the audience.
Joining Roberts were Greg Stevens, offensive coordinator and Pete Golding, defensive coordinator. Players were also present to sign autographs of posters of the season’s schedule.
Roberts explains that the idea originated as an idea from Erin Cowser, executive director of public and governmental affairs, as a way to reach out to the women who support Lion football and generate excitement for the 2013 season.
“Erin Cowser came up with it,” said Roberts. “She’s been a tremendous help. We were really trying to push season tickets and reach out to the fans a little bit to get excited for this fall.
Attendees of all ages agreed that the session was educational and interesting.
“I enjoyed it,” said Cecilia Giannobile, community member and Lion football fan. “They mentioned some interesting things. I don’t have season tickets, but I would like to go to some of the games. “
Roberts was pleased with the attendance of faithful fans to the program and thrilled to see new faces in the audience.
“It was great,” said Roberts. “We have some really faithful fans that are always there at everything we do, but we saw some new faces. I think it was a great opportunity. We talked a little defense; we talked a little on penalties. Sometimes the officials are really confusing and with the game.”
Meggy Worth, an alumna, expressed excitement for the upcoming season and looks forward to attending all home games as a season ticket holder.
“I heard about it from other students that were on campus and The Lion’s Roar Newspaper,” said Worth. “It was very interesting. I learned a lot about football that I didn’t know already. I will [be at all home games] just like every year; I have season tickets.”
The 2013 season kicks off on Aug. 29 at Strawberry Stadium. Season tickets start at $90 for six home games.  Family Pride Packs of four tickets are also available at $45. For more information on season ticket sales, tailgating or the schedule contact Lion Athletics at (985)549-5466, 1-866-LION-TIX or visit www.lionsports.net.