Greek Life promotes safety with Mocktails

Next week, campus organizations will compete against each other to create non-alcoholic drinks. Greek Life and the Office of Student Organizations and Strategic Initiatives will team up to sponsor their annual Mocktails event.

The entire campus community has been invited to attend the event on Wednesday, Sept. 29, in Student Union Mall for free food and special drinks, followed by the Peers Educators Educating Peers (PEEPS) organization’s afterparty.

This year, members of PEEPS came together and voted on the theme “1990s Cartoons.” Participating organizations will have to pick a cartoon that fits the theme and then create a unique “mocktail,” or non-alcoholic drink, to represent that cartoon. However, themes are on a first come, first serve basis.

Mocktails is an alcohol educational program geared toward promoting awareness and abstaining from alchohol consumption. It will begin with a guest speaker at 7 p.m. in the Student Union Theater, followed by the judging of mocktails that are prepared by different organizations around campus.

After the presentation, students will be directed to the Student Union Mall, where judging will begin for Mocktails entries.

“This year, there will be a Dexter’s Laboratory-inspired drink and the Simpsons’ Duff, which is the beer that they drink on the show,” said Thriffiley, director of Greek Life. “If students want to participate, by all means, come on!”

During the actual event, student judges, selected by Greek Life, will pick first- through third-place winners for both a the mocktail competition and the booth-decorating contest. There will also be a new category called the “Viewer’s Choice Award.”

“This year, there will be some really neat trophies for the first- through third-place winners,” said Thriffiley. “I’m not sure if it’s supposed to be a secret, but they look really cool.”

Students who would like to get involved in the competition should talk to their organizations’ presidents. Thriffiley said that presidents should have received an application in the weekly announcements. However, for those who did not receive one, applications can be picked up at the front desk of the Greek Life office. Thriffiley also said that organizations are allowed to pair up for this event.

Following Mocktails, PEEPS will host an afterparty, where they will have promotional items set up for alcohol awareness. All Southeastern students are invited to attend.

“This is a big social thing that students can take pride in,” said Thriffiley. “People here really get into it. I have been to Mocktails at other colleges, and they are nothing like this one. Each year, participation gets larger and larger with students who attend and organizations who participate.”

Prior to the event, organizations must complete set-up between 5:30 and 7 p.m. Judging for mocktails entries and booth decorations will begin at 8:30 p.m., after the guest speaker’s presentation.

More information concerning this event and how to participate in the contests is available by contacting the Greek Life office by phone at 985-549-2120.