Homecoming activities return to campus

Homecoming is approaching fast, and there are many events taking place on campus in celebration of it.

Kicking off the week of festivities is the quiz bowl that is being hosted by the Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi. It will be held this afternoon from 2-6 p.m. in the Student Union Ballroom. Teams will consist of four players and one alternate. Southeastern students, faculty, staff and alumni were all invited to participate. Questions in the quiz bowl will cover topics such as history, science, religion, sports and pop culture, among others. The due date to sign up for the quiz bowl has passed, but the event is free and open to anyone wishing to attend.

On Oct. 21, at 7 p.m., SGA is hosting a block party outside of the University Center. The Baptist Collegiate Ministry (BCM) is having a bonfire and hayrides at the party, and the Dream Team will be having a lip-syncing contest during the party as well, according to Dream Team captain Luke Holloway. The prize for this contest, as well as other Homecoming activities, is earning points that will go toward a chance to win a $500 check, provided by the Louisiana Federal Credit Union.

On Friday, Oct. 22, the ROTC alumni will be sponsoring a skeet shooting competition at the Florida Parishes Skeet and Gun Association in Amite, La. Included in the $125 admission fee per competitor are an 8:30 a.m. breakfast and a lunch of rib-eye steak. The competition’s proceeds will be used for a scholarship for qualified veterans of the U.S. armed forces and ROTC cadets that attend Southeastern. Gary Sandifer can be contacted for more information at 985-542-0483.

The final event will take place during tailgating before the Homecoming game on Saturday, Oct. 23. The annual tailgate-decorating contest will be held in the usual tailgating spots, from Friendship Circle to the motor home parking lot. The theme this year is “Roomie to the Rescue.” Judging of the tailgates will be from 1:30 p.m. to 2 p.m. There will be an overall sweepstakes winner and a category for the most creative tailgate.

“We are looking for people to get their creative juices flowing,” said Erin Cowser, executive director of public and governmental affairs. “It’s fun to see how creative the Lions’ fans get.”

Cowser recommends that people dress in costume along with their tailgate decorations. This is the contest’s third year, and the sponsors are hoping for more student organizations to participate.

“We want to encourage more camaraderie among tailgaters,” said Cowser.

Another activity that is usually held every year during Homecoming week is the student vs. staff flag football game. According to Student Union Director Jonathan Ambrose, the game may be cancelled due to lack of participation. The game is co-ed, and the staff team is still in need of four female players. Ambrose asks that if any female staff members are interested in playing that they contact him at 985-549-5670.

Other events taking place during the week that are only open by invitation are the President’s Court Reception and the Southeastern Family Reunion.

The web page www.selu.edu/homecoming provides more information on Homecoming events.