English department holds Common Read event

The Common Read Committee from the English Department hosted a Common Read event on Thursday, Sept. 18th where Quinn Kennedy, Paul Wimberly, Tara Bennett, Miranda Miller, and Lowell Doney read this year’s Common Read, “Dark Rain” a graphic novel by author Mat Johnson.
    “They were amazing! By the time the reading began, we had a full house. All the chairs filled and students who came late sat on the floor.” Heather O’connell commented.
    Nick Ramey, a student at New Orleans Center for Creative Arts, created a film of Dark Rain, so the audience could see the pages as it was read.  The reading lasted about an hour and fifteen minutes with the entire novel being read.  Each actor read specific characters that were assigned before the reading by the Alpha Psi Omega drama club president Kayla Hill.
    Johnson will be visiting Southeastern on Oct. 25.  At 9:30 a.m. students will share their presentations on Mat Johnson’s work and a dramatization of Dark Rain. At 11, Johnson will discuss his graphic novels “Dark Rain” and “Incognegro” and answer students’ questions. At 2 p.m., Johnson will take part in a panel discussion of the famous court case Plessy vs. Ferguson. Finally, at 7 p.m. Johnson will read from his works, answer questions and sign books.  All events will take place in the Student Union Theater except for the 2 p.m. panel discussion of Plessy vs. Ferguson which will be held in the Cate Teacher Education Center located next to Zachary Taylor Hall. To prepare for Johnson’s visit, students will read and discuss his works on the third floor of Sims Memorial Library at 7:30 p.m. on Tuesday nights until Oct. 23.
    Leading up to Mat Johnson’s visit several events will be held for anyone interested in his work. On Sept. 25, Southeastern students from the drama club will read the graphic novel “Incognegro”. On Oct. 2, Southeastern students from the drama club will read the graphic novel “Right State”. On Oct. 9, there will be a reading of “Why I Hate Alaska”. On Oct. 16, there will be a Comic Con where students are invited to bring in their favorite comic book or graphic novel to share and come dressed a favorite comic book character. The last event before Mat Johnson’s visit will be on Oct. 23, where Chance Harvey’s American Literature class will perform Dark Rain.