MADD Dash to end drinking and driving

Alpha Omicron Pi and Delta Tau Delta are joining hands to organize MADD Dash on Saturday, Nov. 19. The event is organized with hopes of creating awareness of drunk driving and the serious consequences which arise from it.  

“This event consists of a 5k glow run around North Oak Park and throughout our very own Southeastern campus,” said Maggie Hinson, Philanthropy Chairman of AOII. “AOII and Delta Tau Delta have hosted this event for several years now as a way to support the organization of M.A.D.D. (Mothers Against Drunk Driving).”

A tragic incident sparked the motivation for organizing the event. 

“MADD Dash is held in hold of our sister Beth Boudreaux who was hit and killed by a drunk driver,” said Taylor Drude, President of AOII. 

The incident led AOII to support the initiative of M.A.D.D. and they are continuing the trend   of hosting the event this year.

“We have been big supporters of this organization ever since one of our own sisters was killed by a drunk driver in the past,” said Hinson.  

The run starts at North Oak Park, goes through Greek village and campus and then ends where it started. Prizes are given to the men and women who finish in the top three positions. The entire event is from 6:30 to 10:30 p.m., but the actual race will not start until after 7 p.m.  

The event welcomes everyone interested in running for this noble cause.

“Anyone can participate in this event,” said Hinson. “The more people that we have, the more money raised for this great organization. It’s going to be so much fun.”

The event has been supported by other franchises along with the Greek community. 

“This year Pizza Hut asked to volunteer to sell pizzas,” said Hinson. “All of the proceeds go to the M.A.D.D. organization.”

Participants are encouraged to be creative and bring their accessories for the event. A blacklight dance party will follow the race. Participants will also be handed out refreshments after the race ends. 

“For the race, the runners wear all types of glow accessories, such as glow sticks, glow necklaces, and even glow paint,” said Hinson. “After the race, we are feeding everyone who participates in the event.”

Anyone interested can send an email to [email protected] or can sign up through the link on eventbrite.com and buy a ticket to run in the event. Registration for the event will be held at North Oak Park.