Great turnout at Jam the Jungle

Jennifer Guccione

Jam the Jungle, Southeastern’s annual pep-rally preceding the first  home basketball game for the spring semester, was a complete success. Hundreds of Lions fans roared in the University Center last Wednesday, Jan. 19 in support of their home team.

In the past, the event has been such a crowd pleaser that it has worked its way into becoming a Southeastern basketball tradition. As such, the event is sponsored by the Campus Activities Board (CAB), the Student Government Association (SGA) and Student Athletics.

“CAB is involved to encourage students to attend athletic events and be a part of the exciting campus life here on Southeastern’s campus,” said Jason Leader, Coordinator of CAB, when asked why CAB is a sponsor of Jam the Jungle.

The SGA provided free drinks and Domino’s Pizza to students during the event.

“It’s a way to give the students something back for their own fees,” said Beth Richardson, SGA Coordinator.

There were also games in which the students participated. For the main event, students received tickets as they walked into the University Center. The tickets were then entered into a lottery after which, the winner was chosen to participate in the $10,000 Shoot-out. Kevin McClary, a freshman majoring in criminal justice from LaPlace, was chosen as the lucky contestant. Other games included the Tarzan Yell and Money Crawl.

In return for showcasing their school pride, students were also given free t-shirts which were designed and paid for by CAB. Over the course of the event, 500 shirts were handed out.

As the event came to a close, Jam the Jungle was deemed a success by its organizers.

“We only expected 500-600 students and we swiped in over 800,” said Richardson. “It was definitely a success to reach such a large number of students and not only contribute to the success of the basketball team that night but give the students back something for the fees they pay with the food and drinks.”

Attending students also did not fail to be impressed.

“I really enjoyed the event,” said Lance Hardman, freshman kinesiology major. “Not only did I get to watch a free basketball game, but I got free food too. I’m dancing around with my frat brothers, Delta Tau Delta, acting a fool.”

Following Jam the Jungle, over 800 students were present as the Lions’ basketball team took on the McNeese State Cowboys for an 80-77 win.